Replacing Wilo Gold RS50 Pump - Sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a conventional boiler in a traditional 3 bed semi and the pump has just gone in it. Last year we built a small extension and added two new radiators to the new downstairs room. I have noticed over the past year since we got the extension, that while adequate, we have not been able to have very hot radiators in every room at the same time and was considering getting a new pump for it.

Radiators are :

1 front room
1 hall
1 kitchen
2 sunroom (1 small, one large)
1 bathroom upstairs
3 upstairs bedrooms
-- Total 9

We have an upstairs room which we will be adding a rad to next year as well as another towel radiator for en-suite.

However, today, the current pump has just died so I need to get a new one. I was going to get this one which is the current replacement model for the Wilo Gold RS50.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wilo-yonos-pico-4169842-commercial-central-heating-pump/83459

however, am wondering if I upgrade to the 6M is that likely to serve my needs better.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wilo-yonos-central-heating-pump-6m/59045

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
B.

Sponsored Links
I would not normally think a normal 3 bed house with a bit of an extension would need anything more than a standard pump, sounds more like the pipe sizing is wrong or the system needs balancing.
Putting in a "super" pump might well create more problems than it cures, in particular if it is a normal open system with an expansion tank in the loft. Water flow noise might be an issue too.

Thanks footprints. I had a chat with the plumber about this today who fitted it and fitted the dearer one 6m one. Once fitted, the digital display on it settles at 4m, which would seem to tally with what you are saying. Since fitting it an hour ago, all the rads are piping hot. Maybe that would have also happened with the 5m one and it was just the case that the last pump has been faulty for some time, but in any case I thought for the sake of £5 I would go with the bigger one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back