Circulating Pumps CP53 CH pump versus the low energy CP50?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my current Circulating Pumps CP53 CH pump 10 years ago and it is still going strong, although to make it last I have used the slowest speed setting of 1. My previous pump only lasted about 5 years, also set on speed 1, consequently I am thinking of replacing the pump as in the past I have had a pump fail 3 days before Christmas :(

There is a Circulating Pumps CP53 available on the net, but according to the Circulating Pumps website they have not been allowed by the EU to manufacture one since January 2013, and consequently that pump is at least 3 years old. I am tempted to buy that pump rather than the CP50 as I wonder if lowering the energy consumption may affect the life of the pump. The other thing that I note is, that the original CP53 pump came in a sealed box, but having had a look at the CP50 in Plumb Centre, it does not appear to come in a sealed box.

Consequently, I was wondering if anyone has experience of, or comment on the new low energy Circulating Pumps CP50? I am only concerted about the life of the pump and not operating costs.

EDIT:
The axis on Performance Curve supplied with the original CP53 are Q(m3/hr) against H(m) but the graph on:-

http://www.pumpsalesdirect.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/datasheets/cp50.pdf

Appears as Q/m3/hr against H/m, so I assume that is a typing error. Note m3=m cubed.

It appears from the graphs that:-

For the CP50: the maximum height on speed setting 1 is 1.2 m

For the CP53: the maximum height on speed setting 1 is over 4 m

Although the maximum flow rates at speed 1, are the about the same when H = 0.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I now post images of the Performance Curves for the two pumps.

Performance curve for CP53.jpg

Performance curve for CP50 energy saving pump.jpg

I live in a house and the pump is 0.5 m below the maximum height of the radiators, about 2.5 m above the minimum height of the radiators/pipes, and about 2.5 m below the header tank overflow.

Hence using top right CP50 graph, if I buy the CP50, I am right in thinking that I cannot use the min speed setting of 1, and may just get away with the speed setting of 2, ie the middle graph line? EDIT - Consequently, if that is correct then it appears to me the CP50 pump will have a lower life than the CP53 pump !!!

The CP53 graph is taken from the literature supplied with my original Circulating Pumps CP53 pump.

Last edited:
To be honest. Circulating pumps are on the cheaper end of the market. They are the budget arm of wilo. So I would presume some components have been skimped on to make them cheaper than the wilos.

If you really want to change the pump I would personally go for a grundfos alpha2l.

Ps. Your 10 year old pump was actually made by myson. But since then they have been taken over by wilo. So you are not actually comparing the same manufacturer

Sponsored Links
Circulating pumps was a management buyout from Myson.

I did not know that Wilo had now bought them.

They were very popular pumps and used as OEM in many boilers, the Potterton Puma being just one example.

They are a pretty reliable pump but I have found that the most common failure is caused by the capacitor losing capacitance.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back