Choice of Pump

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
My central heating system went wrong in the evening of Christmas day and I think I need a new pump. The system is solid fuel boiler with indirect cylinder and pumped CH, gravity DHW. It still works for hot water but all rads are cold. I have tried the hosepipe method on a couple of rads in case there was an airlock. I could hear the pump motor running but wondered if the impeller had broken off so I dismantled the pump. The impeller is secure and spins OK when tested out of the pump housing. The pump has been in use for about a year and is a Halm Hep Plus 30-6.0 E180.
The pump has a digital readout and used to show about 40 when the system was working OK but now it only reads 7 or 8 when set at maximum or 4 when set on minimum speed. I had low figures like that when I first installed the system and emailed Halm for advice. They told me the default setting is for proportional pressure and you have to alter internal microswitch settings to get constant pressure. When set for proportional pressure the LED in the speed knob flashes but when on constant pressure it glows continuously. It still glows continuously but I suspect a fault has developed in the electronics causing it to revert to proportional. It is just not spinning fast enough to circulate the fluid (the system is filled manually with solar panel antifreeze solution).

The pump does have a 5 year guarantee but it would be difficult to prove it is faulty so I will probably just buy a new one. I prefer to keep things simple so would like to get one without any electronics. Ideally the replacement would have the same size thread, which I think is 2". Any suggestions on replacement pumps?

Sponsored Links
My central heating system went wrong in the evening of Christmas day and I think I need a new pump. The system is solid fuel boiler with indirect cylinder and pumped CH, gravity DHW. It still works for hot water but all rads are cold. I have tried the hosepipe method on a couple of rads in case there was an airlock. I could hear the pump motor running but wondered if the impeller had broken off so I dismantled the pump. The impeller is secure and spins OK when tested out of the pump housing. The pump has been in use for about a year and is a Halm Hep Plus 30-6.0 E180.

A what???!!! Are you in the UK fella??
We fit Wilo or Grundfos here. Of all the new ERP circulation pumps, the Wilo by far the best.

I been presented with these pumps before rebranded as something else.

They work, but have noisy bearings which does not instill much confidence.

Sponsored Links
I think I have worked out what to do. It looks like they do a 3 speed version of the 6 m head pump which is about half the price of the Hep +. I think the 30 figure in the model number refers to the size of housing so it should be possible to just fit the new motor section to the existing housing: http://www.njuskalo.hr/grijanje-hla...grijanje-richard-halm-best-buy-oglas-15749875
The pump has always been very quiet, I think the bearings are ceramic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back