Circulation pump question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a house built in the 80s. Standard boiler/vented system I believe.

My question is - the circulation pump comes on whenever the boiler turns on, whether CH is on or not. Is this normal/standard behaviour?

I would have expected the circulation pump to stay off when Hot water was being called to the boiler., and only come on when CH was called...is this right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Perfect, cheers guys. Now to the next question.

Any recommend make/model for a replacement pump? This one makes a racket!

Sponsored Links
How many rads?
How big is your house?
Grundfoss 15/50 is the norm for a 3 bed house.
Or fix the current pump if you can.

Just moved into a house built in the 80s. Standard boiler/vented system I believe.

My question is - the circulation pump comes on whenever the boiler turns on, whether CH is on or not. Is this normal/standard behaviour?

I would have expected the circulation pump to stay off when Hot water was being called to the boiler., and only come on when CH was called...is this right?

Thanks

They were classed as 'fully pumped' systems back in the day...... ;)

If it's a Grundfos, there will be a four digit date code (PCxxxx) on the front. The first two digits are the year of manufacture.

Unless gravity hot water and pumped heating...... ;) where pump only come on when heating is called for.

What boiler is it? What size of pipes that is connected to hot water cylinder on the same side one middle and one bottom?

Daniel.

Pump: Terrier TC5
Boiler: Potterton Flamingo 50s

Tank: unsure, 22mm or 28mm but definitely not 15mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back