Cistern doesn't refill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently had to turn off the water, as my husband wanted to do something with the radiators, in any event, we turned off a stopcock and a gate valve, upstairs. These pipes look to lead directly to the water tank in the loft.

Since then the water has continued to flow (presumably from the water stock in the tank), we have since turned the stopcock and gate valve back to how they were (although can't easily tell which way they should turn), however we now have cold water in the upstairs taps and kitchen (pressure fine), but neither cisterns will refill and the downstairs toilet cold tap produces no cold water, in addition to the the pressure on the boiler has reduced to 0.

I have been reading and it seem the pressure issue with the boiler can be solved by refilling using the pressure valve, but I'm not sure how to solve the cold water problem, has anyone any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Sponsored Links
The gate valve should open anti-clockwise. Always wind back a touch from full on.

If it is a gate valve this should be on the outlet. Are you sure the storage cisterns aren't filling?. Anyway, you are likely to have sheared off the gate from the spindle, it is a regular problem. If the the tanks HAVE filled, ie valve on outlet, it is a potentially difficult job for a DIYer. If it is on the flow TO the tanks, it is reasonably straightforward. I ALWAYS use PEGLER valves, not the cheapo's normally used, and there is also a current shift towards full flow lever valves

EDIT:

I've just reread your post. Are you saying you turned the valves again AFTER you have succesfully recieved water at the WC? Is the stopcock upstairs as well, or was this the mains s/c?

Dear Expertgasman

Thank you for your quick response. I am confident it is a gate valve, looking at the various pictures I've seen.

The gate valve and the stop valve are right next to each other, on different pipes, both of which seem to lead to the water tank. The hot water appears to be working fine.

I have flushed the toilets and watched to see if the cisterns refil, but neither of them refil even a little.

As to the water tank in the loft, I've no idea if it has refilled or not. I'm not sure how to test.

Sorry if this seems really basic, but I'll happily own up to being a novice! Any help much appreciated.

Ok, I don't fully follow the ordrr of events. Assuming when you say "cisterns" you mean WC cisterns, doi the following. Check BOTH the s/cock and the Gate valve are fully turned anti clockwise. If they are, or if there isd no water movement when you turn them, I'm afraid you will have to get in the loft, or send someone up (but be careful). Check the tank. If, as I suspect, it is fulll of water, then you have likely sheared the gate valve, or introduced an air lock. Can you get in the loft?

Sponsored Links
I do indeed mean WC cisterns. I will check the position of the valves this evening and will go up into the loft to have a look.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back