cistern flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced my old cistern with a new 6 litre plastic one. It is working ok, apart from releasing only half of the water in the cistern.

Is it possible to increase the volume of flushing water?

Sponsored Links
That`s probably how it releases just 6 litres.....and I can`t possibly help you contravene the water regs :oops: :evil:

If the amount of water released is 6 litres then I must have chosen the wrong size cistern.

The amount of water is inadequate for the big job and we end up flushing twice to achieve what we expected the first flushing to do. This appears to be wrong on two counts.

First, the 6 litre of water, if it is not adequate for a successful flushing, surely the manufacturers would have gone for a higher minimum.

Second, the cistern does not release more than about 50% of the contents. The previous cistern was also a 6 litre one without the problems of the new one.

Maybe you`ve got a dual flush 6/3 but is there only one button :?:or is it a syphon with a handle

Sponsored Links
If you push-and-hold the handle instead of push-and-release, does that increase the flush?

Were there any instructions with the cistern/syphon about dual flush?

You might think about a Flapper Valve instead of a syphon, gives a good flush, though this will mean taking the cistern off again to fit.

Nige F said:
Spot-on, John ;)

ta!

If I bought some of those special trousers, do you think I could become a plumber? :LOL:

unexpected_plumbers_crack-794247.jpg

Push-and-hold method did not make any difference. It does not appear to have this facility.

I am ashamed to admit I did not read the instruction thoroughly. Just looked at the diagrams and proceeded, in my excitement of installing my very first cistern. The instructions hit the recycling bin with the packaging.

Please enlighten me a bit about Flapper Valve. Do I have to remove something in the cistern to accommodate this valve?

Yes, you take out the whole old syphon and store it as a spare for ten years, then chuck it away. You fit one of these instead. Hardly any moving parts and gives an unobstructed flow. Is also very quiet.

p2938193_l.jpg
this kind if the handle is on the front

p2635226_l.jpg
this kind if there is a push button, or the handle is on the side.

However I think you might do well to ask the cistern supplier if it is dual flush, and how to operate it. I've had syphons with removable plugs and caps to change the flush size.

Thank you JohnD.

People like you make this forum so fantastic! I simply could not have received a better response to the problem anywhere else.

One other thing, where do I get those trousers from?

A thought: You've only replaced the cistern, yes? I think that means that you're entitled to replace it with one with the same flush-volume as the pan was designed for. That may have been 9 litres (even if there was another (6 litre) put in there at some time.) Worth a check.

Another point, often raised - some new pans don't clear their contents at all easily, many designs are just plain bad.

bb48 said:
Thank you JohnD.

People like you make this forum so fantastic! I simply could not have received a better response to the problem anywhere else.
JohnD certainly is a top man.

One other thing, where do I get those trousers from?
Don't be ridiculous - you can keep the trousers, just give me that a*se.

Nice to see JohnD's contribution is appreciated by others too.

ChrisR's comments/suggestions appear valid too and worthy of remembering when tackling a similar problem.

bb48 said:
ChrisR's comments/suggestions appear valid too and worthy of remembering when tackling a similar problem.
More than valid - he's also a top man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back