Cistern problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of those modern small toilet cisterns with a push button. The problem is that it is continually draining into the toilet. The cause is that the inlet valve is remaining open, and hence the water overflows down the output valve overflow into the toilet pan.

Opening the top shows that the internals are:

A Torbeck inlet valve i.e. a small float controlling the inlet like this one:

http://www.diy.com/departments/torb...66_BQ&ef_id=VIi-xgAABYrFITJ7:20150106214652:s

A central Wirquin Jollyflush outlet valve. It is rather like this one:

http://shop.kingswayplumbing.co.uk/wirquin-jollyflush-dual-flush-valve--button-2915-p.asp

The cause of the problem is that the outlet valve has some gubbins on one side, and it has been installed so that the gubbins interferes with the float on the Torbeck valve i.e. it catches on the float. Basically I have to open it up, and free the float to close the inlet. I cannot rotate the float, as it then jams against the cistern side.

Does anyone know if this is easy to fix? I fear the outlet valve is clamped onto the base of the cistern. I do wonder if the upper part of the outlet valve unscrews from the case, but I dare not force it, as I do not want to break it.

Sponsored Links
The white upper section of the valve can be removed from the base section by turning clockwise (view from above)

Always assuming that the base section was installed properly!

Thank you. Is it likely to be very tight? As said before, I don't with to force it. Also, does the stuff on the side of the outlet valve come off? (Worst case I buy another to play with, so I can understand exactly what I am dealing with.)

Sponsored Links
Hold the cradle(lower part of the valve) to make sure it doesn't come loose.

The "stuff on the side" is the float assembly and no, it doesn't come off. It is possible to re-orientate the float assembly by altering the position of the body within the cistern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back