noisy pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet started to fill very slowly after flushing. I checked the Inlet Valve into the cistern and found it was faulty. I replaced it with exactly the same thing - a Torbeck Bottom Entry Inlet Valve. The toilet filled properly but now when the float reaches the right level to shut the water off there is a loud banging from the pipes. Any ideas what is causing it - as I say I replaced like for like and it didn't make the noise before.

Sponsored Links
No, because they hadn't fitted one on the previous valve. Well at least there wasn't one on the unit - if it had fallen off would it have shown at the top of the pipe ?

Do you think I should fit one, or should I alter the pressure by slightly closing the isolator valve under the cistern ?

I've done the same thing. Annoying innit when its supposed to be a quiet valve! The restrictor made no difference, and I ended up almost shutting the isolator valve. Rather unsatisfactory. Do tell if you find a better solution!

Sponsored Links
Last night we lowered the pressure by closing the isolator valve slightly. It now takes a while to fill the cistern but the noise has reduced. Tonight I'll fit the HP flow restricter and see what that does. I'm not holding my breath though. It's so annoying as all I've done is fit the new Torbeck, so I can't understand why we suddenly have this problem. It worries me that it will weaken the pipe joint. Not sure what else to do other than call in a plumber.

Never hav liked the Torbek...Fluidmaster seems better ...gotta pay out twice :( But the plumber may just do the same..

thanks. might try the fluidmaster - do they sell them in B & Q or do I need a plumbers merchant ?

Plumber`s merchant ...PTS have them, I don`t go to B+Q :LOL: Wickes,Focus Homebase...

hmmm, last night I fitted the LP flow restrictor (the HP was too much, hardly any flow), and have opened the isolator valve fully. The flow is slower - it takes around 90 seconds to fill the cistern - but when the valve shuts off there is very little noise. There is still a small thud but not a noisy bang as it was initially.

I'm not totally satisfied and it's still a mystery as to why it was OK before I changed the unit, but can I assume it will be OK or do I need to irradicate the shut off noise altogether ?

I'm fed up with it.

If you can live with the (lesser) noise. Then leave it. I`m afraid I haven`t a clue why these placcy "hightech" valves are such Thomas Crapper. You saved a bit of £ by not calling a plumber :D Sorry to crap the great man`s name.....just testing the auto censor ;)

thanks Nige F. If it really gets on my nerves I'll try the Fluidmaster, but I'll give this time to settle.

what do you reckon about the slight noise - will it weaken the joints or is it too minimal to matter ?

mine does the same and a plumber neighbour said it could be due to loose pipes under the bathroom floor. Can't get to mine as the floor is completely tiled so can't verify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back