Cistern water too ferocious!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly modern push button cistern. When I press to flush, and the float arm lowers; the water splashing against the side of the inner cistern wall- at the top- has become very powerful (presumably coming from where the ball valve has opened?) and proceeds to splash over the lid and trickles down the outside of the cistern
Any ideas how to fix?

Sponsored Links
take the lid off and have a look.

The ball valve should have a plastic bridge on the top that turns the flow and directs it downwards. I expect yours has fallen off. It usually clips on and is retained by the big nut holding the edge.

Look for the service valve that turns off the water supply to the cistern in case you have to loosen the big nut to refit it.

Thanks, but can't see anything immediately apparent. I've uploaded a pic if that helps. The white part at the top right is where the water gushes out and hits the side of the inner cistern wall

Are you sure it's splashing water, not a leak at the valve body?

A Fluidmaster inlet valve, which discharges from the bottom of the pedestal below the waterline, would be an ideal cure if it isn't the valve body leaking.

Sponsored Links
the white p[lastic part on the top is the bridge. Yours is a Torbeck vavlve. Turn off the water and loosen the big nut and you will be able to pull off the bridge for inspection. The water is supposed to run through that transparent, perforated polythene pipe.

Well I was watching it and the water is not flowing through the polythene pipe, definitely coming out of the side where I've indicated with the arrow in my 2nd pic

The 'bridge' (sparge pipe) is coming apart. It might be re-glueable/sealable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back