Citroen Xantia Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Xantia has a high pitched squeal when I turn the car left - doesn't happen when I go right. Doesn't squeal when the car is stationery and I turn the steering wheel. Have changed the drive belt as someone suggested it could be this but it is still making the noise. It has passed it's MOT with this noise so am totally at a loss as to what it could be & the Haynes Manual doesn't seem to have anything similar that I could perhaps have a look at.
Anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it is from the wheel as it only happens when I turn left but it hasn't been picked up on the MOT which makes me wonder if it is to do with the steering or not.
What is UJ? (sorry woman driver!)

Universal Joint.
Or CV joint. Constant Velocity. Same thing really just different names.

Sponsored Links
How would I find out if it was that? Someone suggested maybe my power steering pump needed some WD40, is this likely?

Can I just recap?
It squeals when turning left but, only when moving.
You've changed the drive belt. I take it you mean the power steering drive belt? I'm not familiar with Xantia but I'll pay attention when I'm at work. Petrol or diesel?
It could be the power steering pump but normally they squeal in both directions.
Can you take it to a big car park and turn it in tight circles in both directions and note what it does as it's not easy to diagnose things without seeing them at times?

Yes it only does it when I turn left and only when the car is turning round a corner, it doesn't do it when the car is stationary and when I turn a right corner.
The drive belt I think maintains the power steering, heater, air con etc. The old one was all split so it did need replacing but the noice is still there. It is unleaded petrol.
I know it's difficult when you can't see it but I do appreciate your help.

Maybe corrosion on the front brake discs or maybe a wheelbearing failed!?

Chizzlet said:
The drive belt I think maintains the power steering, heater, air con etc.

The belt runs a HP pump (High Pressure) which powers the power steering, suspension, Aircon, Alternator and brakes! (if the belt were to snap you would have 4 - 7 attempts at braking before pressure was lost :eek: )

Blimey! Thanks for that.

Would it have been picked up in an MOT if it was the brakes or wheel bearing?
Sorry, just have absolutely no idea where to start with this one and I don't really understand too much about cars.
Any suggestions given are being looked at by my hubby so I am very grateful to you all for trying to help me.

Wheel bearing if it was noisy when the wheel was off the ground or had play in the wheel should have been picked up, a wheel bearing can sound fine when there is no weight on it so it might have been missed by the MOT tester, the corrosion on the brakes is unlikely to be noticed on MOT.

kingboyD, the high pressure pumps on Xantia's only power the brakes, suspension and power steering, the alternator and air con are driven by the same drive belt (was on my 2.0l petrol).
Corrosion of front discs these days is not usually a problem on cars used most days, modern pads are agressive and they wear the disc surface, so keeping then clean.
Chizzlet, is the noise coming from the drive belt area or may be it's tyre squeal, can you be more specific.
regards johnwr

johnwr said:
kingboyD, the high pressure pumps on Xantia's only power the brakes, suspension and power steering, the alternator and air con are driven by the same drive belt (was on my 2.0l petrol).

Yeah I know :D just that my wording is slightly wrong :)

johnwr said:
Corrosion of front discs these days is not usually a problem on cars used most days, modern pads are agressive and they wear the disc surface, so keeping then clean.

Not as common as it used to be but still worth checking, make sure there are no big lips on the discs esp on the inboard side as that was the problem area on my Golf.

Johnwr - As I am always in the car I don't actually know where it's coming from but it does sound like the front wheel area.

try the left hand turn test again but this time ride the brake pedal slightly so as to close the gap between the pads and the disc. (loose squeal shim ? - fixed by a light coating of copper grease between shim and backing plate of disk pad)

if that doesn't get rid of it take the wheel off and check the retaining clips for the pads on the noisy side. could be one of the retaining clips shifting sideways and rubbing on the wheel or disc. look for shiny steel amongst the brake dust.

Also check the tightness of the split pin that retains the hub nut - it could be rubbing on the centre of the wheel and causing squealing.
(my Avensis had a loose split pin and the tab washer over the hub net kept rattling - but I could only hear it on quiet country lanes with my window open)

Ron Gamma said:
Also check the tightness of the split pin that retains the hub nut - it could be rubbing on the centre of the wheel and causing squealing.
(my Avensis had a loose split pin and the tab washer over the hub net kept rattling - but I could only hear it on quiet country lanes with my window open)
hello Ron G can you enlighten me about your above theory, surely the split pin (spring clip on Citroen's) is loose unless it's rusted up, the spring clip stops the hub nut coming loose, so how can it be rubbing on the centre of the wheel, when the wheel bolts clamp the wheel rim to the hub therefore there can be no movement between the wheel and the hub.
RSVP

Sponsored Links
Back