Help with squealing noise when driving and slightly turning left

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I should get someone to look at my car but I thought I'd ask for opinions on what it could be prior to this, as I only bought the car not long ago. And I'm wondering if it's worth getting it repaired myself or going through the dealer/getting in contact with them if it sounds like a costly repair.

The car is a Toyota Prius gen 2 2008, 150k miles.

There is a really high pitch squeal when driving, and the wheel is turned slightly to the left. The squeal is very loud when going 60mph+ but is also there when going slower. It seems to have gotten worse. There is no clunking noises or grinding. Just a squeal.
It's MoT was done prior to me buying the car, and on the advisories (which they had fixed) there was
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement BOTTOM ARM,REAR BUSH.
Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement BOTTOM ARM,REAR BUSH.
If this info helps at all.
Thank you on advance!

Uploaded the sound to YouTube, link is below.

Sponsored Links
Is it the noise that comes and goes on the video?
Are you driving in a straight line, and as soon as you start to turn the wheel even slightly, it makes the noise?
If you were to find a long, left hand bend, would it make the noise continuously, all the time that the wheel was turned to the left of centre?
Will it make the noise if you're stationary and you turn the wheel to the left?

If it only does it when moving, try getting it to make the noise in a long left-hander, and while doing that, just touch the brakes lightly, to see if the noise changes.

It sounds to me like dry metal rubbing. It doesn't sound like the power steering. Have a good look at your brakes. Jack up that corner and move the wheel around by hand.

Then start the engine, and move the steering

Wheel bearing faults get very hot when the wheel is turning.

Sponsored Links
^^As above^^ Also, your car has a squealer on the inboard front pad. It's always possible it's making a baw herr's contact with the disc.

Back