Fiesta failed MOT on brake pipe and suspension bushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm starting to wonder how I ever got by without this site!

I've just this minute got back in from taking my 01 fiesta flight for it's MOT which expires on the 8/8/08 and it's failed on 3 things.

1. Offside front brake pipe excessively corroded

2. Nearside front (rear bush) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement

3. Offside front (rear bush) suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

How much can I realistically get the repairs done for? The garage I went to quoted £76 for the brake pipe and £206 to have the bushes done. I plan to ring around to get the best deal I can when I have an idea of how much it should be costing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pair of wishbones complete with the bushes in will be around £50 the pair, and brake pipe should cost around a tenner to get made up. Couple of hours labour armed with a haynes manual and do it yourself

you can sometimes get brake and suspension repairs done at a good rate at Tyre and Brake sheds. the fitters are not fully trained car mechanics, but they do brakes every day and suspension joints fairly often. Just size them up to form an opinion of their level of skill and care.

You can do it yourself but might take a very long time trying to bleed the brakes. Absolute cleanliness is essential on brake repairs. It could easily take you an hour or two to order and collect the parts, and your skill and speed might not anything special, I don't know.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing it myself, but I may be lazier than you.

Both jobs are quite common on fiesta's, the quotes you've got do seem high (not sure what area your in) as neo states probably a couple of hours work (maybe slightly more if wishbone bolts seized) Try a local indepentent garage, unless you feel confident to do it, i would get someone to do the brake pipe for you

Sponsored Links
By phoning many independent garages and comparing quotes I've got the total cost of repairs to £170 which I think is a lot more like it! Booked in for monday morning. Definitely worth ringing round

Good news, I found a quote for £140, plus another £30 for an MOT test. It's repaired now and has passed its MOT. What would be a decent price for a 4 wheel alignment for my car do you reckon?

I've just looked in my haynes manual and it says that for rear wheel alignment "figures are provided in the specifications for rear wheel camber and toe-setting for reference only. No adjustment is possible". Therefore is 4 wheel alignment necessary? I did have a problem with the front being out causing uneven tread wear on the front tyres and these have since been replaced. So I at least need the front doing. What about the back, is it worth it? Thanks

dont forget andy- your tyres are going to wear if both wisbones were shot??? you wheels were permanently fighting each other. if you do get it tracked- use a run-over tracking plate as opposed to lasers or mirrors, kind regards

Sponsored Links
Back