Audi A4 2009 1.8 TFSI MOT Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Took the car in for an MOT but was failed on :-
  • Nearside Front Upper Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Upper Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Have looked at the arm bushes and Pin both sides but cannot understand the reason for the failure as both arms look good, the bushes are not cracked, split or perished! I ah attached photos. So am at a loss for the failure?

Garage just charges me £19 so am worried if they failed to get the repair job done by them? They quoted £305 to supply and fit new arms.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Tested both sides with full steering lock side to side. Arms and bushes performed as should be no popping out etc.

Many Thanks

Caesar

Attachments

• IMG_5196 (1).jpg
    IMG_5196 (1).jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_5196.jpg
    IMG_5196.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
Some slight cracking but for something to be excessively worn, it has to be practically hanging out and about to fail. You could go down the appeal route but for the loss of £19, it might be worth taking it elsewhere for another test. Your local council run test station would be a good place if you have one as they don’t have a vested interest in finding work. (y)

Pry bar, and give it a wobble, if there's excessive movement, well any really, they're worn. But there will be much more competent, experienced views on here for you to consider.

There is some splitting on those bushes but I'd say that was an advisory rather than a fail.....
I don't know if you can rebush these but I'd have thought so.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hello All and man thanks for your views. Checked both sides of the bushes all seems fine. Pry Bar absolutely no movement then designed and intended. Sad to say but this garage MOT Tester and owner were trying it on. Looked at prodded, pryed, no movement from these bushes!

Maybe best to try another more competent MOT Tester, any thoughts?

You could put a complaint in, appeal against the failure.

I'd personally just get it tested elsewhere.

Can't be worth doing a test for £19, makes you think how they make ends meet..

Take it somewhere else for a new test but don't forget to come back on here to let us know the outcome.

Andy

One better as something similar happened to me on a bigger scam scale.
Take it to another mot centre where they DO NOT DO REPAIRS and tell them the truth.
Double and treble check that they don't do repairs of any kind, major and minor (in my case they said that taking down a gearbox was a minor repair :rolleyes:)
Ask them to check the suspension arms and see what they say.
They probably won't charge for it as they can simply look at it from the wheel arch.
If they say it's ok, do an mot there.
If they confirm the failure then you need repairs.

It's just a shame for all the good garages that get tarred with the same brush.

We do repair, service and MOT. All our tests are fair which legally they should be..

It's just a shame for all the good garages that get tarred with the same brush.

We do repair, service and MOT. All our tests are fair which legally they should be..
You're probably the only garage in the country not pushing for repairs and/or service.
Are you sure your boss never asked you to upsell, if not only a simple oil change or brake pads?
The words "potentially dangerous" are well overused in garages for something that it's not dangerous at all, for example brake pads just below 50%.

Sponsored Links
Back