Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated offside front lower, Anti roll bar linkage ball joint cover severely deteriorated nearside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, This was my advisories at a recent mot pass. Just wondered if anyone knows what actually gets done/replaced in these cases. And if its a big job etc.

just to remind you its suspension arm ball joint dust cover offside rear and anti roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover nearside front upper. Both severely deteriorated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Fit a new anti roll bar link - not worth sodding about with them. Possibly replace the suspension arm complete with joint unless you can buy a replacement joint or dust cover.

If the underlying joints are clean, and with no wear/deterioration - You can buy replacement dust covers fairly cheap and they are not usually difficult to replace DIY. Just loosen the nut, part the joint and fit.

Sponsored Links
Beal sell various ones in popular sizes:

However, unless it's very obviously been damaged recently and the joint isn't that old, I generally find that by the time the gaiter has perished and split, the joint isn't far off needing replacing anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'll get underneath in the next few days and have a look. Swapping the covers would be good.
There's been some scratching noises when driving slowly over uneven ground which I'm thinking might need a proper look at at a garage though. It seems to happen only in cold weather. Not sure if it's related to this though?

There's been some scratching noises when driving slowly over uneven ground which I'm thinking might need a proper look at at a garage though. It seems to happen only in cold weather. Not sure if it's related to this though?

When cold, or when dry, could simply be bushes.

When cold, or when dry, could simply be bushes.
Sorry I didn't get a notification.
I take it you mean the wishbone bush? I've heard it's a common occurrence on this car. Presumably it didn't look as bad as it seems to be as it wasn't and advisory. Cheers.

Sorry I didn't get a notification.
I take it you mean the wishbone bush? I've heard it's a common occurrence on this car. Presumably it didn't look as bad as it seems to be as it wasn't and advisory.

Any metal to synthetic bush joint can become noisy, it's not an MOT fail or advisory, just an annoyance in dry weather.

Parts like that can be stupidly cheap on ebay. Make sure you match the VIN though.

Sponsored Links
Back