Offside front suspension repeated premature failure - 2015 NISSAN X-TRAIL TEKNA DCI 4X4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2015 NISSAN X-TRAIL TEKNA DCI 4X4 and the offside front suspension arm ball joint keeps wearing prematurely, the arm has been replaced 3 times in the past 2 years.

I had a Nissan dealer replace both front suspension arms and then at a check around 6 months later they noticed the offside arm was excessively worn so they replaced it under warranty. Around 6 months later I had the car serviced and MOT'd at an independent garage and they noticed the same arm was excessively worn, i just had them replace it with the anti-roll bar linkage as I was sick of Nissan.

I have the car booked in for it's annual service/MOT next week and my steering is making excessive creaking noises when turning at low speed which i've seen is a sign of ball joint wear.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and know why it keeps failing? I only drive about 5,000 miles a year and the car has done 40,000 total. The independent garage said there should be no reason it fails again after repair but sounds like it's happened again.

I would appreciate any help so i can get this permanently fixed.

Below are the notes from my MOT last year before replacement.

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Sponsored Links
I cant see any reason for premature failure so lng as the rubber boot isn’t torn during installation.
I have however replaced more Nissan bottom arms than any other make, and that includes the Leaf, Qasqai and the other hatchback whose name I can’t recall.
Bilstein replacements are better quality than OE in my opinion.
John

Any history of accident damage?

What is tyre wear like? When was tracking last checked ?

We had an older X-Trail (the T30) and it was always hard on suspension components at the front. I think it's basically a Primera setup, carrying far too much weight? All we did was buy good quality aftermarket parts (TRW, Delphi, etc)

Sponsored Links
They are rubbish cars, we had a 2017 model and the engine shat itself at 42000 miles costing us £4000.
Renault garbage engine.
They do seem to be built with sub standard components for the size of vehicle.
Ours was the older Nissan one. No Renault parts at all, but the engine was still pretty rubbish. Timing chain guide failed, and then there's a really stupid arrangement where the brake servo vacuum pump is driven by a stupid bit of bike chain off one of the cams...

Back