Ford Fiesta rear suspension strut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 1998 Ford Fiesta Hatchback.
I have a knocking, rattling, coming from underneath the car from the area around the offside rear suspension strut, I thought it was the exhaust pipe but I have eleminated this.
My question to this forum is. When the car is jacked up (wheel hanging) should their be any movement where the rear suspension strut attaches to the car? I can move mine up and down. Is this normal or is there some wear on rubber bushes that attach it?

Sponsored Links
If you can lift the wheel up and down the shock absorbers are probably on their way out. The rattling may be coming from inside the shockers or their mounting bushes. There are also bushes at the front of the swinging arms but I would suspect the shockers first.

Hi
Thanks for the reply!
I do not think it is the actual damper as that seems to work, testing by bouncing the car up and down.
I note your remarks on the mounting bushes,as the whole leg is loose i suspect this might be the case.
I guess the answer is to take the strut out and replace the bushes.
Does not look too difficult,only attached by one bolt in the boot (I have already had this off) and a bolt at the bottom where it attaches to the swinging arm.
I have a pair of spring compressers if I need to remove the spring.

Sponsored Links
Hi nospanners..... The bounce test may not show your fault, it only works to check the damping effect. If you damper as gone stiff your car would just be hard to bounce! and would ruin the mounting bushes. The mounting hole may also be elongated.

I would suggest you get a price for new shockers, they are not that dear.
and also come with new bushes. It may save you doing the job twice too!

I would scotch front wheels then use an axle stand either side of car, and a length of 4x4 under the floor so the axle beam can freely hang down.

Should you decide to replace the dampers you have to do both sides to keep the handling in balance.

Back