CLADDING expansion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all...am now onto the interior of my summerhouse... i would like to clad a couple of the walls...cost really dictates maybe with the Wickes 8mm t&g...really worried about expansion after they have been fixed up.
Does anyone have an tips re avioding this...either the way i put them up or treatment etc...thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't butt tight together, leave timber in room to acclimatise for a couple of weeks, but keep secured as the thin stuff curls quickly once in damp air.

foxhole...thanks...do you think re fixing..i was going to 'invisible' nail through the tongue..do you think it may benefit as well with some wood glue on the battens ?

Sponsored Links
foxhole...thanks...do you think re fixing..i was going to 'invisible' nail through the tongue..do you think it may benefit as well with some wood glue on the battens ?
The thin stuff tends to split when nailed thru the tongue, tend to have to pin at both edges to prevent curling, agree with Harbourwoods suggestion.

THANKS ...got the first batch of wood 'airing' as we speak...rather a lot to get , around 40 sq mtrs give or take...battens run vertical, so hopefully they will hold...we'll see !!

THANKS ...got the first batch of wood 'airing' as we speak...rather a lot to get , around 40 sq mtrs give or take...battens run vertical, so hopefully they will hold...we'll see !!

that sound's odd ,which way is the match boarding running

Sorry , the studwork ' for the walls run vertical...the cladding will be horizontal and also across the 'ceiling' , again on the ceiling rafters... i think the average spacing between the 'studs' and rafters is about 500mm.. 6.5 mtr run on the wall and about 3.2 mtr across the ceiling...does that sound right ? hopefully i've explained it a bit better !!

Sorry , the studwork ' for the walls run vertical...the cladding will be horizontal and also across the 'ceiling' , again on the ceiling rafters... i think the average spacing between the 'studs' and rafters is about 500mm.. 6.5 mtr run on the wall and about 3.2 mtr across the ceiling...does that sound right ? hopefully i've explained it a bit better !!

you could put noggin's between the stud's or batten over the wall if its a finished wall,try a dummy run put a few length's of match boarding on the wall qnd see what you think of it ,Its just personal taste in the end, traditionally they are vertical and potentially less trouble to get into with levels and floor's running out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back