Clamping stud work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to the forum, so please treat me gently.

I have a few old steel, heavy g-clamps that I've been using for years but am interested in the newer squeeze-ratcheting types.

A short description of what I want the clamps for:

I'm currently helping my Father install framework in his loft, approx 4ft above the ceiling joists, to allow him to store the "tat-of-ages" above soon-to-be-laid loft insulation.

The frames are constructed from a mixture of stud-work timber (both 2.4m x 38mm x 63mm & 38mm x 89mm) and lighter 19mm x 32mm, which are screw-fixed to the ceiling joists at points of wall support, or there abouts, paying particular attention to spread loading and not tranfer weight to the pitched roof joists.

Although it's a simple design, minor roof irregularities means that pre-planning and sawing aren't always the wisest idea. Consequently I believe it would be bes to almost mock up the frame with the timbers and a set of clamps.

Any advice on whether the ratcheting C-Clamp grips would hold the larger stud-work securely enough, and why prices vary (from say 4 to 15 quid) so much?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sled - price difference? Check-out where the stuff is manufactured ... China = Chinese Gulags = cheap (slave labour!).

Ratchet clamps have their place, ie. quick holding/one hand available situations whilst inserting screws.
Traditional G clamps can tighten-up more firmly but are a bit more awkward to use 'cos generally two hands are needed.

So for your temp supports to hold them for the screws cheapo ratchets will be fine - just don't expect them to last long.

I'd always try to buy quality tools, in this case Record G Clamps, 'cos the'll last a lifetime, and beyond. Spares are also available.

For a cheapie one handed clamp you could look at something like this.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_SOL100_SOLO100_SoloOneHandedClamp100mm.htm

But the Irwin single handed clamps are better and easier to use.IMHO

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_Q[fSlash]G5122QC_5122QC_IrwinTWINPACKQuickGripClamps12Capacity.htm

Cheapie F clamps are handy if you need a few.

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/blue-f-clamps

You can get these as real cheapies from your local "el cheapo" shop, they are effective and good value for money.

G clamps are the more traditional but get a good brand when/if you go down this route as the cheapies don't last and are lightweight in both performance and quality. Record is a brand that springs to mind that gives good quality.

If you're trying to position a heavy timber with one hand, you'll only have one other hand available to operate the cramp. Presumably, your father would be holding the other end of the timber at the time, and be unavailable to lend a third hand.

So one-handed ratchet cramps seem to be the only sensible ones to use. You won't need much pressure simply to hold things in place while you check for level or square before drilling fixing holes.

I'm guessing that you won't need many, as you can reposition them once the fixings are in place. In that case, I would invest in good ones, which will be useful in the future.

Sponsored Links
Symptoms, Bilioustrumpstaine and xerxes:

Thanks so much for all your helpful input. It was exactly what I needed to know. Happy Christmas and cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back