Clarification on Gas Fired Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a BAXI combi boiler used for water and central heating.

I have 4 radiators fixed with Drayton TRV.

These are my clarifications.

1. My radiator valves has only thermostat mode and does not have a switch off mode. Can't I never switch off my radiators?

2. I had noticed that irrespective of keeping the radiators in thermostat mode or on mode, the number of units consumed is always same

3. One of my friend was telling that atleast one of the radiators should or will not have valves since the water always needs to go atleast one radiator at all time. Is it true? He said otherwise the water will be blowed up nowhere to go.
If this is the case, why all my radiators have valves and am i not supposed to switch it off or keep in thermostat mode.

4. There is a boiler heating control and individual radiator valves in radiator. How does both gets into sync. For eg., if I keep the boiler central heating to 60 degrees and radiator valves to number 1, does it make any difference.

Sponsored Links
I have 4 radiators fixed with Drayton TRV.
So you have TRVs on all radiators?

My radiator valves has only thermostat mode and does not have a switch off mode. Can't I never switch off my radiators?
The numbers on a TRV represent room temperatures. The valve automatically controls the water flow through the radiator to maintain the required temperature.

Presumably the lowest setting on your TRV is a *; this is the frost setting. If you set the TRV to the * setting the radiator will stay closed until the room temperature drops below about 8degC

If your TRV has a 0 setting this is normally a positive OFF setting.

I had noticed that irrespective of keeping the radiators in thermostat mode or on mode, the number of units consumed is always same
What do you mean by "on mode, do you mean set to Max? The number of units consumed will depend on the outside temperature and what temperature you want to maintain in the room. Setting the TRV to 1 should use up less gas than setting it to Max.

One of my friend was telling that at least one of the radiators should or will not have valves since the water always needs to go at least one radiator at all time. Is it true? He said otherwise the water will be blowed up nowhere to go.
Some Baxi boilers are designed to work with TRVs on all rads. Which boiler do you have?

There is a boiler heating control and individual radiator valves in radiator. How does both gets into sync. For eg., if I keep the boiler central heating to 60 degrees and radiator valves to number 1, does it make any difference.
Setting the boiler control to 60 just controls the maximum temperature of the water flowing round the system. Setting the TRV to 1 means that the valve will maintain a room temperature of about 12degC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back