Clattering extractor vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have something similar to this for my kitchen extractor. The problem is that it does clatter so when it's a bit windy.

Can you recommend one that doesn't make a noise but is suitable for it?

Also, I might be making another hole in the wall in the loft for an inline extractor for the bathroom. The same quest applies but does that require a different external vent?

I need to keep the creepy crawlies out as well.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
You can fit external cowl to help protect from wind .
Loft fan should have internal shutter to prevent back draft and can exit via a roof vent tile .

You can fit external cowl to help protect from wind .
Loft fan should have internal shutter to prevent back draft and can exit via a roof vent tile .

Thanks for your reply, so is it a simple case of taking the old one off and fitting one like this or this but adding a flyscreen?

Also, regarding an internal shutter, would this do and should I fit one of these in the kitchen extractor ducting as well?

that stainless one looks a very good buy.

it says it has a shutter (they usually do) so you don't need the extra one.

The cowl vents are much better than the flappy ones, they don't rattle all the time, and the flaps don't blow off in strong winds.

Sponsored Links
that stainless one looks a very good buy.
it says it has a shutter (they usually do) so you don't need the extra one.

Thanks, I thought so too but just read the reviews for it, buyers are complaining that the shutter doesn't have a spring so it makes a banging noise when windy which defeats the purpose of my issue!

oh.

I use the plastic cowl vents, and don't often hear them.

You can get a "silent" backdraught shutter with flexible "butterfly wings"

some modern fans come with them, I got one as an accessory, think it was made in Hungary or somewhere.

it might have been this, or similar. The wings are light transparent plastic, self closing, but open if you blow on them.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-100mm-...065845?hash=item3cc5b5d4f5:g:eAIAAOSwH9Jd39XH

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back