Bathroom damp / Extractor fan needed

L

leeweedon

The bathroom in our house doesn't have an extractor fan, hence it is always damp and needs constant cleaning repainting etc...

The time how now come to re-decorate properly and the first step is to get an extractor fitted.

It's a small bathroom , 6ft x 10ft and has a small window.

It's used a lot as we have 4 people in the house who all shower at least once a day, so it does get steamy regularly.

I've read about several options.

The first, drilling a hole through the external (non cavity wall) and fitting the fan there and running the electrics through a chase in to the loft.

Secondly having an inline fan in the loft and venting either in the eaves or through a replacement "vent tile". The roof is about 45 degrees, the eaves are about a foot out.

Looking from the loft the gap to get to the eave is very small (4 inch?) so getting a pipe to it and being able to do any work would be very difficult.

I'd prefer to have the inline extractor as I have read they are quieter and can be more powerful, also I could have the vent further away from the window to make it more effective.

I'm really unsure about replacing tiles in the roof tho. I've seen a solution from Manthorpe which looks like a replacement tile made of plastic with vents in it, unsure how this would deal with the throughput, let alone the condensation running back down the pipe?

In short this rambling will tell you I'm clueless!

Do I fit a wall extractor or loft based in-line?
Do I try and deal with the small gap to get to the eaves or do I go tile-vent solution?
Are tile vents easy to fit?
If I use a wall extractor would that be powerful enough and suitably located to deal with the needs?

I have attached some photos, apologies for the state of the place, like I say we are about to redecorate.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, but I'd go straight through the wall using a core drill.....on a bathroom this size it would be quite powerful enough and would give you the ventilation you need.
I like the Manrose Gold range - quiet, effective and with a timer.
John :)

hi.

Obvious BUT ensure that the "run on timer" is "activated"

This device built into the fan ensures that the far "runs on" after the light is switched off and the user has left the room.

This should ensure that as much of the wet damp air in the Bathroom is vented to atmosphere
One "problem" tends to be the "noise" of the over running fan, especially at 0400 in the morning when someone has used the Loo, if possible ensure that the fan you choose is a "QUIET as is possible"

Ken.

Wall presents the simplest solution though bathroom should also have a permanent vent.
Have wall vent in bathroom and ciling thru eaves in shower room with 6inch inline fan serving two inlets. I cut into eaves from the outside, you could try this and then see if you can access the hole from inside the loft, if it fails you just have an extra vent into loft space you can cover with a griil.

Sponsored Links
Foxhole, Hi.

Are you seriously suggesting that the warm damp air is vented into the loft space?

Ken

Foxy means drill a pilot hole in the required position I think, just to see if that area is accessible from within the loft void.....
I prefer my fans to be individually switched so they can be used when necessary, not automatically. Two live feeds are needed for the timer - one fixed live, one switched.

Arrgh! I've been looking in to the options again....

I have an SDS Drill it's a Dewalt 2KG one that has drilled 14mm holes in the walls before without breaking sweat. It has a clutch etc..... I've read the manual and online bumph... I will do up to 60MM core drill bit, so doing it myself is out I guess

Unless I hire the equipment, which is possible, but I would either have to drill at the top of a ladder or have the drill over head height to get the hole in the position in needs to be. I fear breaking a wrist/arm/the house.

Are the walls that tough? It's a brick thick.... (maybe two) with no cavity?

Also, I've seen so many different hole sizes, what is the recommended minimum?

If I did hire a diamond core which would be needed, any recommendations?

What's a reasonable price/the going rate for a pro to come out, drill the whole, fit the extractor and wire it up?

I have figures of around £300+Parts

Lee

For 110mm ducting, the popular hire size is 117mm, and that requires a 10mm pilot hole. Readily available to hire!
Personally I wouldn't want to drill that when balanced on the top of a ladder...it takes a wee while and a fair bit of pressure on the drill.
Why not drill from the inside? Much safer - there will be a bit of break through but thats better than a broken neck :p

To drill from the inside The drill would be above head height, or at the very least level with my head (I'm 6'3)

Reading the reviews seems to indicate the pullback from a hole of this size would need the ability to control and keep steady the drill.

Sure, but a big pair of steps would help, and a lot less drop than from outside.....
With core drills, you don't use the hammer action, just constant pressure on the drill - the clutch (essential) comes into play if the drill snags onto something a bit harder. Diamond cores really grind their way through rather than bashing with hammer action.
I'd drill from the outside - but not from a ladder unless I could hold the drill at waist height.

Will the massive chunk of wall fall out the other side?

Sounds like a plan, I can get steps up from inside, from outside just wouldn't be safe, especially with a 4kg drill in my hands! lol

As the core drill really grinds its way through, there will be some break out but thats usually covered by the grille on the outside.
As you'll need ladders to secure the grille anyway, you could always do a small cut from outside, just to minimise damage.

Foxhole, Hi.

Are you seriously suggesting that the warm damp air is vented into the loft space?

Ken
No, never suggested such, recommended cutting vents from outside into eaves to see if eave vents were viable.

As the core drill really grinds its way through, there will be some break out but thats usually covered by the grille on the outside.
As you'll need ladders to secure the grille anyway, you could always do a small cut from outside, just to minimise damage.
You can do all from inside,I installed a wall vent three stories up without ladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back