Clay Flue Liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In principle, can a wood burning stove be connected directly to a clay chimney liner?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't know of any direct connection, it's normally done with a register plate if an S/S liner isn't used.

In principle, can a wood burning stove be connected directly to a clay chimney liner?

Thanks.
If a smaller diameter of flue pipe from a WB connected into a clay liner then without some other form of access into the latter, there would be no means of sweeping it, eg a brush that would pass through the stove outlet couldnt expand out enough to scrape the sides of the clay liner.

The clay would probably be cold and condensate !

Sponsored Links
My chimney has 8inch clay flue and I an installing a stove with a 6 inch flexible liner, has anyone ever had any trouble dropping liner down a chimney like this?

Would like to hear if it was no trouble or big trouble.

You should be ok with 8” . I tried and failed to get one down a 7” concrete liner, well not the whole thing, I scrounged a short length of about a meter and a half and tried with that first with a cone on.

n
Did you have someone try pull it down from ground as well?
I had a rope each end in case it didn't go through which it didn't. I went on the roof, dropped the rope down which had a weight on then Mrs lost pulled bit of liner down and each time it got stuck we pulled it back and forth trying to work it through ,then gave up and got a full length of 5" which went through.
I did run a reamer through several times before we started to clear any snots.

6 meters of the liner is not cheap stuff and my stove setup is for 6 inch flue.

n

I had a rope each end in case it didn't go through which it didn't. I went on the roof, dropped the rope down which had a weight on then Mrs lost pulled bit of liner down and each time it got stuck we pulled it back and forth trying to work it through ,then gave up and got a full length of 5" which went through.
I did run a reamer through several times before we started to clear any snots.

What was your stove setup if you initially tried 6 inch liner?

I didn't have a stove but because it's a large cold room wanted to provide for a large burner so when I had to fit 5" flue I was limited to 5wk DEFRA stove but found one that outputted 8kw.
After all the work of fitting I discovered an inglenook fire place with chimney capped at first floor behind paneling.
I have since opened it up and installed a 6" twin wall flue inside the old lower chimney and up through the building.
The 5" flue is now redundant and panelled over.

Last edited:
Yeah the stove i have is for 6 inch flue and from what I am reading 6 inch flue is better for the bigger stoves for efficiency and heat??

One other thing i have been advised that as the the chimney flue sit tight back in the chimney I need a T fitting coming from back of stove to allow room around for air circulation (will give roughly 6 inches at rear of stove) but when I read the manual the min requirements for rear and side space on non combustible materials is 50mm which is 2 inch and I can achieve this with two 45s out of top, really where I want the flue pipe to come out of stove.

Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back