Clay Underground Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have posted before about puddle flanges, I need another bit of info, I have noticed the builder has opted for clay drainage pipe and fittings, and am just curious as how is going to join them, as I would have thought he would have used plastic with solvent weld or push fit, is there any reason he has used clay over plastic??

Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
Perhaps he is traditional?

Joints were traditionally made using strong cement sand at about 1:2

More recently many have used rubber gaskets which alow a small amount of movement without cracking.

Tony

Sponsored Links
allenvb said:
and the difference is?

there are few differences.

both are similar sized smooth bore, both transport sewerage and water, both are vulnerable to subsidence, both respond to a 1:40 fall with similar results.

i have to say though the plastic pipe is far more user friendly and it can be laid with fewer connectors. it is easier to cut and easier to install. it is less likely to shatter upon impact.

But the plastic does have to be laid in a considerable volume of gravel whereas the clay type can be ;aid along flat ground and covered later with just soil.

Is the Hepsleeve clay pipe without the moulded sockets?

Seems to be called "SuperSleve" now!

Tony

Agile said:
But the plastic does have to be laid in a considerable volume of gravel whereas the clay type can be ;aid along flat ground and covered later with just soil.

not where i live.

the reasons for granular infill apply to both plastic and clay, in other words subsidence. any pockets of ground subsiding beneath the pipe are readily filled with the gravel infill.

what makes you think the clay will perform differently? :confused:

The plastic can/should be installed on a bed and backfill of the granular material.

Original clay pipe with cement sealed sockets was installed on a concrete base about 400mm wide and 75 deep but could be backfilled with clay etc.

Presumably the Supersleve ® with flexible gaskets can be installed like plastic.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back