Clean block paving before or after extending it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm extending my driveway with more permeable brindle block paving (+35sqm). The existing driveway is grubby and needs a good wash and re-sand. The new blocks are second hand (so that the weathering kinda matches) and also in the same state of needing a good wash.

Cleaning 2000 unlaid blocks individually will take forever. With this in mind my current thinking is to ensure that the new blocks are clear from debris that would cause any alignment issues, but that's it. I'd then extend the driveway and then clean the entire thing at the end after cutting in.

The only snag I can see with this, is that without there ever being any joining sand between the new blocks that the pressure washer could damage the laying bed of sharp sand. But then on the other hand, I think that the sand has no-where to go anyway?

I'm just a DIY'er so this is the first time doing a driveway, so I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would clean the edges of the new blocks, lay them, sand them, then wash them all in a few months.

Thanks Ian, I really hadn't considered doing that. I guess I was concentrating on having the project all finished and gleaming, but there is some merit in leaving it for sure. Cheers.

Definitely leave them for a few months or, as you suspect, you will wash most of the fresh sand away.
Someone that used to live down the road from me a number of years ago did something similar and that was the result. He managed to get the whole drive looking clean but then had to relay again the section he had put in because it disturbed the sand bed.

Sponsored Links
Permiable? I read you post, only new are permiable

So ignore some of my advice
You don't sand ,you use a special grit or nothing.

If it standard paving use sweeping sand and whacker plate to clean it.
Light covering on old paving and ram it for a few passes..
Wash with a proper large commercial paving cleaning machine instead of just a pressure washer as this will be better and a hell of a lot cleaner .

Hire one for a day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back