Cleaners that strip chrome

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I understand that cleaners containing hydrochloric Acid (which I suppose removes limescale) and Caustic Soda (which I suppose removes blockages) will strip chrome plating from brass and copper - and I have seen places where this has happened.

I have some heavy brass lock escutcheons, chrome plated, and want to strip then down to the brass and polish them.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to do it?

I have put this in "plumbing" because I have seen chrome stripped off by lavatory cleaners.

Sponsored Links
I think you're on the right lines with hyrochloric acid, but it's not available to the public. Your best bet I think is to contact a electro plating firm in your area.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Used to work in a place where they dipped pipes in acid to clean em as part of refurbishment and am sure they used to do homers for guys that came in with old car parts to be stripped of chrome .
Was sure it was hydrochloric acid.
Am certain some of the drain cleaners you get at plumbers merchants are 90% acid worth a try john but be careful M8 the guys that dipped the pipes etc were well suited up.
ps you could always try brown sauce or cola :LOL:

Nooooo!!!
Drain cleaner is often SULPHURIC acid - which is definitely not a good idea.

Hydrochloric acid in quite a concentrated form is easily available from any decent hardware store, as 'Spirits of Salts'. No idea why in these safety-obsessed times, but it is! I very much doubt whether hydrochloric would strip chrome to the extent you need without attacking the brass as well, taking the zinc out of it.

I suspect the best method is to use a plating bath in reverse. Ask at an electroplating company - if you can find one.

oilman said:
Brick cleaner is hydrochloric acid.

Hydrochloric acid will strip the chrome off of taps etc but is only 10% strength in brick cleaner and not strong enough.
All good plumbers should know that different metals expand at different temperatures and a chrome tap thrown into a hot Rayburn,Aga or coal fire will come out minus the chrome..........and washer :LOL:
You will be left with a brass tap that will need polishing. Dan knew this ;)

I wonder if I could put it in a gas ring to get the chrome off without melting it?

I've heard that acid will take the zinc out of the brass and leave soft porous copper :(

Have since heard that Caustic soda will take chrome off brass. Any ideas?

I was hoping for a low-cost DIY solution :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back