cleaning black stain on bricks

Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
hi
i have a circular window in my loft, which has some black material on it, not sure what it is - maybe soot?

it hasn't come off with a lot of scrubbing - have also tried spirit of salts, but no luck.

any ideas what i can use to remove it/ who could do such a task?
many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
When I opened up my fireplace to bung in a log burner the bricks were sooted up badly. Tried a host of cleaning products with little effect, only removing surface dirt.

In the end I used some sandpaper. Worked a treat. Came up almost new. A word of caution, not as applicable to you or me..... sanding removes the harder surface of the brick so outside would probably not be the best idea. But as with me, yours is internal. I still whacked several coats of Matt stone sealer over the bricks once done. Made no difference to the look and probably helped seal them a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back