brickwork stained from hydrochloric acid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

some advice required...

unfortunately last weekend i attempted to clean a section of exterior brickwork due to build up of algae from a removed plant. unaware of the procedures required when using hydrochloric brick cleaner i have now stained the bricks.

i have since attempted to wash and scrub the bricks with clean water but when dry - to no avail :(

is there anything i can try to remove or 'soften' the stains?? looks really unsightly and looking to have repointing work done soon. worried its going to spoil everything??

thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will remove this stain.

Washing the whole area with dirty water or soot water may do something to blend it in (or encouraging the algae back), but if you don't know what you are doing, you could make the wall look a whole lot worse

You can try scrubbing more of the wall around the stain, but it sounds like you have a bright bit or wall and darker wall around, and this will be hard to blend

Sponsored Links
basically the bricks that i had applied the cleaner to have gone white. (lost their red colour)

when you wet the bricks it looks as if the marks have gone, but when they dry it returns!

it looks awful and to boot it's at the front of the house!! gutted!!

i'm afraid that it's not just one brick! it's and 8'x5' section :eek:

will get some pics up tomorrow..

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back