Cleaning fluid for Heat Exchanger deposit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way and liquid spray to remove in situ the lumps of sandy deposit in between the fins of an aluminium Heat Exchanger of a fanned flue boiler. I tried sulphuric acid (brick cleaner), vinegar, methylated spirit on the samples to no avail

The HE is difficult to come out without major strip down of the boiler and the HE is a round shape allowing one hand to get in.

Any fluid can desolve the sandy deposit without harming the aluminium HE.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ive found that the best way in no liquid but a firm stiff brush. Works for me.

I occasionaly wash out a heat exchangers fins using water but this is after it has had a good brush out and a vac.

In your case with the minimiser, ive always relied on a trusty 59pence bog brush with the handle cut down so i can get it in. Ive found this the best tool for cleaning the minimiser out.

Sponsored Links
I did it with wire brush bent at 90 degree which very effectively brushed off most of the deposit. Because of several years of neglet and no servicing, there are numerous trapped in between the fins which I used 18 gauges wire to shove some off.

It is difficult to clean them all as the boiler is mounted on the corner of the walls. I alternately used each hand and inspected with mirror later to locate the blocked fins. This took two hours and my hands were aching.

Now the boiler is working all right and more effecient than before. I better leave it alone.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back