Aluminium heat exchanger - best cleaning alternative to acid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend the best alternative to a soaking in acid for a fouled up heat exchanger made of aluminium? Is there even such a thing, or am I realistically looking at a new heat exchanger?

(Some Extra Droffle: My Baxi Main Potterton Combi 24he boiler has gunked up heat exchangers. Running mains water from the flow side of the boiler back through to the return side flushed out some oily magnetite crud and some flakey 'rusty metal flakes' crud (and improved the operation of the boiler), but both the primary and plate heat exchangers are obviously still pretty fouled up.

The rest of the system is pretty clean now, (after several flushes, the magnetic filter is now catching very little crud) and I've tried sentinal x400, and then X800, both with pretty limited results. I was intending on removing the heat exchangers this weekend and cleaning them out with acid, but now that I know they are aluminium... Is there a best second best to an acid soaking? Is removing them and just blasting with a hose/pressure washer likely to achieve much?)

Any and All advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back