Cleaning Loft - Waste of Time?

if or when you decide to floor the loft, that's a good time to throw out the dirty old insulation, clean up, and lay new. It's much easier to keep a flat, smooth boarded floor clean. You can also put some kind of lining up if you want, though such an old roof may need replacing before long. The new one will have a membrane liner so will stay clean. I really like sarking boards but they are not common in England.

To add new insulation of deeper thickness, you may need to counterbatten the joists otherwise the flooring will crush it.

Loft legs can also be used.

The Area under the old Roof is not very accessible from the Hatch. Banged my Head many times getting back to the Hatch :)
Don't need the Storage. No plans to put a Floor Down.

Roofer who replaced the last few Slates said it would need redoing in the next 5 Years or so.

Sponsored Links
Basically I was thinking that if the ceiling does fall in for some reason, the less crap up there to fall down the better.
Although there would be a heck of a mess I was thinking it might be a little less just by clearing up.

This is something I am alwao doing every time I have to take a 1st floor floorboard up, every little helps.

Yes worth cleaning.
Don't some pva the lath and plaster to strengthen? And go carful as it can fall if not in good condition.
LED sunken lights are self contained now and you can roll insulation over.
Also buy liners to make light hole nice and round.
I'm assuming it's lath and plaster

Sponsored Links
Yes worth cleaning.
Don't some pva the lath and plaster to strengthen? And go carful as it can fall if not in good condition.
LED sunken lights are self contained now and you can roll insulation over.
Also buy liners to make light hole nice and round.
I'm assuming it's lath and plaster

You answered on my Hairline crack on new Skim in the Plastering Section.
It's your fault that I moved the Insulation :) :)
Nothing Crack wise on the Loft side.

Lath and Plaster. Over-boarded, skimmed (roughly) and Anaglypta Papered 20+ Years ago before we moved in.

Halogens came out easily. Nice round 80mm Holes :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back