Cleaning long waste run from kitchen sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our recently restored kitchen initially had no sink and no water. The only water was from the well adjacent to the scullery. Now we have two sinks in the kitchen but the waste is a 20m 40mm push-fit run through three rooms to the 100mm soil pipe. The slope is better than 1:40.

I can reluctantly dismantle this waste pipe for cleaning but as an alternative I installed a vertical pipe (higher than the bottom of the kitchen sinks) in the waste run adjacent to the soil pipe, which enables me to cut off the flow from the sink and then fully fill the waste pipe with a cleaning chemical to dissolve grease. The cleaning chemical can be left to work overnight, with the dissolved grease then flushed away in the morning.

But I cannot find a waste cleaning chemical that will do the job. Can anyone please recommend a strong cleaning chemical that will fully dissolve the grease and not damage the push-fit seals?

Sponsored Links
Far too long for a waste run. A waste pipe run should be self cleaning if installed at the correct angle and not overly long but over that kind of distance, it'll never maintain itself properly.

Using chemicals is not a good way to overcome an incorrect installation, it's not very good for the environment either and it'll end up eating/hardening the rubber seals in the push fit couplers.

Sponsored Links
Sodium Hydroxide (aka caustic soda aka lye) does even better.

Important disclaimer - IHNI what sort of an amazing job it might also do to rubber seals.

As I said to JohnD, Kitesurfer, we are planning to see how we get on with soda crystals. Presumably we'd need to use the Strong dilution (220g to 500ml)?
I will report back in a few days when we have tried this.
Thank you, both

Sorry, Captain Nemesis, you and I posted simultaneously.
I'll be pleased if washing soda does the trick, but we'll go on to caustic soda if we need to.

Anyone know what rubber is used in the seals?

https://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-5

upload_2021-8-10_14-47-0.png

upload_2021-8-10_14-48-20.png

It might be simpler if I explained that I am Sue and not Paul (who loves LandRovers). It is Paul who does the plumbing but me who does the computer stuff (because I love computers and he hates them).
I will pass on the info about rubber and chemical resistance.

I'll get Paul to draw a diagram of the configuration of the waste pipe and post it here (if the website allows me to).

If you can block off the pipe so as to fill it with a chemical, have you tried a bottle of fairy liquid and filling the pipe with hot water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back