Cleaning/refurbishing thermostatic cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've got a concealed shower valve from Victoria Plum. Recently the thermostatic control stopped working (hard water area, 4 years of service, not unexpected really) so I ended up buying an additional valve of the same design and swapping the internals over. It's now working again as it should.

I'm wondering if I can disassemble the old cartridge and descale the innards, replace any o-rings and then keep it as a spare for when it goes again in another 4 years... The cost of a cartridge alone makes it worthwhile, but there's also the possibility that parts might not even be available in 4 years.

But... I've got no idea how they work so I'm not sure if that's even feasible or if this failure means something has actually broken inside rather than just being seized up with scale. If it affects anything, the flow through the valve was just fine, it was simply that the temperature was locked at whatever I'd set it at before the valve failed. Before I expend the effort of trying to take the cartridge to bits, has anyone been successful in doing this?

Sponsored Links
I haven't (yet) replaced my thermostatic cartridge, but I have seen a video from a spare parts supplier, suggesting that the cartridge should just be left to soak in some descaler for an appropriate length of time.
The 'O' rings are then greased with silicone before reinsertion.

Although 'O' ring mutipacks are available, it's worth trying to find the exact size by measurement (allowing for wear); it wouldn't be good to have scalding water bypassing the wrong sized seal!

Video for reference, but not very exciting! :)

Give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back