Identifying and fixing bypass in concealed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I've got a concealed thermostatic shower unit that has started to suffer from cold water not turning off when it's turned off at the wall.
Confirmed its the cold water that is bypassing by turning off the water at the cold water inline isolator and the water stopped leaking from the head.

I've taken the shower unit apart and have in my hand the Flow valve/cartridge ( if that's the right word) and it looks like water has been bypassing an inner washer down by the spindle due to the deposits around the cartridge front. Is this a correct diagnostic? There is a lot of deposit around the rest of the valve,
IMG_20160401_195622.jpg IMG_20160401_202102.jpg IMG_20160401_202942.jpg IMG_20160401_232519.jpg IMG_20160401_232452.jpg IMG_20160401_232446.jpg
So I'm trying to work out if I can take the cartridge apart and replace the seal, after descaling, or its is a replace cartridge job. If it's a replace cartridge job, does anyone know what it is? Its a 22mm spanner to undo the valve, but has no specific markings I can see.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If it's the seal that's leaking, then go down to your local plumbers merchant, and see if the can sell you a replacement. Cleaning it up and resealing it may work, but if it's the thermostat that's gone, then it'll need a new cartridge. This is a suck it and see job.

Thanks, as I thought. It's why I've done it tonight so I can get to the plumbers first thing in the morning and still return after testing for other parts if the valve replacement doesn't fix the problem. ( who works half days Saturdays nowadays!)

I'm desperately hoping it's not the thermostatic cartridge on cost grounds.

Sponsored Links
Just had it identified as a trevi therm at the local plumbers merchant. Part ordered.
Cheers for reading!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back