Cleaning up old cast rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, I have just bought some old cast iron rads, and obviosly they are full of crap, what should I use to clean them out, and if any has any tips of cleaning them up and removing paint it would be appriciated.

Thanks

J

Sponsored Links
I found THESE people were better than a diy job, unless you like doing that sort of thing.

in my book u have 3 options.

u have them sandblasted.....(i have never done or had it done but its an accepted way of doing them)

u strip them by hand with nitromores or similar.(ahhhhhhh, long, messy job)

u have them dipped. u take them to the same people who strip pine doors etc in a (prefebly hot) caustic tank. the cast iron is not damaged. they come out clean as a whisle. ring them up first as not all will dip rads.

Fixing the outside is no problem, it's dismantling, cleaning, and reassembling that's the cunning bit.

Sponsored Links
jonnydon'tknowmuch said:
Will caustic soda strip the paint of of the rads??
: Nitromors will :) but the paint might be lead based :cry: but I don`t care so I`ll take them off you cheap ;) Oilman.......do you know how :?: I do :LOL: Got the T shirt too ;) Got it wrong about the soda :oops:

jonnydon'tknowmuch said:
Will caustic soda strip the paint of of the rads??

yes thats what paint stripper is... might be good to soak the inside with too...maybe make up a tempory tank to leave em in over night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back