Clear floor varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to sand my sitting room floor down to bare wood and the I want to use a clear varnish on. I want the varnish to be hard wearing and not show up scuff marks etc and not to got yellow over time.

I've previously used this stuff and found it OK, so was going to use it again:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GU6ISQ
(Ronseal DHFVS5L Diamond Hard Floor Varnish Satin)

However I've just been googling it and I came across this stuff:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055BLIDW
(Ronseal ROU22198 Contractor Quick Cure Floor Seal Silk)

This second one looks like a more professional, hardwearing option, but I can't see any reviews anywhere - so just wondering if anyone has ever used this stuff and if so what did you think of it?

Cheers
Joe

Sponsored Links
FWIW ...

I've used Bona (<The Brand) Mega (<The Bona Name for the Grade of Toughness of the Finish) SilkMatt. It is water based and very hard wearing. You can get the Bona range in different finishes and wear grades.

I put it onto 1920's london plane/ pine floors which I refinished, joint filling with Lecol/sawdust. They came up a nice light yellow / with a hint of red.

All varnish will change the colour of the wood slightly, but the end result was as clear and true to the colour of the wood as any I have ever used (and I've done four or five refurb floors over the years).

This was the first water based varnish that I have ever used. I was a bit skeptical, but I was (and remain) surprisingly pleased three years later. The finish has held up and there has been no hint of colour shift.

Before trying it, I asked around and did a lot of research online and calling flooring companies. Bona has a good reputation so it is worth considering, even if it may be a bit harder to source (i.e. the DIY big box chains wont stock it).

thanks KGK - went with bona and looks really good.

If anyone is interested you can actually order it off amazon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back