Is it a good idea to use two types of varnish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted my pine floorboards with Ronseal Ultra Tough spirit base polyurethane varnish to achieve a golden finish. Ronseal tell me it's not meant to be used on floorboards because it won't be as hard wearing as their floor varnish which is water-based polyurethane. Others who used the Ultra Tough varnish on floorboards had no problems with it.

Common sense tells me it wouldn't be a good idea to paint a coat of the water base floorboard varnish over the spirit base Ultra Tough varnish to achieve greater durability, by having more durable top coat. What are people views?

Sponsored Links
Providing you give the existing a good sanding to provide a key there should'nt be any problems.

Dec

Providing you give the existing a good sanding to provide a key there should'nt be any problems.

Dec

Although wouldn't that rely on good adhesion of the first coat and if it may have not penetrated deeply into the wood both lays may scratch off together. Worth noting is that spirit based varnishes (non acrylic/water based) are good as they don't raise the grain and achieve a smoother finish .

The standard polyurethane you used first will last for decades. Don't put water based over oil based - it will scuff and peel. Just leave it as it is. I can promise you it won't wear out in a hurry.

Sponsored Links
We'll if the op has got any doubts about using the Acrylic, perhaps it would be better for him to contact Ronseal for their opinion.

Dec

Why not see how the stuff he has used wears? If it's polyurethane then it's going to be pretty tough.

Yes you are probably right, I would have thought it would be ok. And of course Ronseal would far prefer to sell another product.

Dec

Thanks all for your responses!

Based on your advice, I'll stick with the Ultra Tough spirit base varnish. I'll deal with any issues if and when it proves not to be durable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back