varnish on top of stain OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put colron wood dye on a new pine bathroom door. As it is close to the shower I need to seal it and have bought some Ronseal exterior satin varnish which I was hoping would be OK. But I've noticed that the dye is waterbased and the exterior varnish is oil based. I'm basing this opinion on the fact that the dye washed out of the sponge I used with water and the instructions on the varnish tin say to wash brushes in white spirit. Will the exterior varnish be OK on top of the dye?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the wood dye is water based ? I've used a lot of colron wood dye recently and it is solvent based. Either way the varnish you have will be fine to use over it. With wood dye you must make sure you wipe it down thoroughly with a cloth to remove any excess residue before varnishing.

just finished a job very similar, yes varnish ontop of stain is perfect, it makes it slightly shinnier and preserves the wood. dont worry about it atall mate. good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back