dying and varnishing new pine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have to dye and varnish a new pine balustrade and some new clear pine doors. I'm planning to use a Fiddes wood dye (like me they are based in Cardiff) and follow that with Fiddes clear glaze. I'm trying to get a reasonable match to a pre-finished oak floor. After a lot of mixing and testing I think I've got the colour right with a water based teak dye diluted 50/50 with water. My question is about the order of sanding/dying/varnishing. The doors and balustrade are fairly smooth although there are the usual rough spots on spindles and the odd knot. If I apply the dye without sanding, this will presumably raise the grain but if I sand afterwards will I take the colour out? Would the following order work?

1. Sand the worst bits first
2. Stain
3. Give it one coat of glaze
4. sand with fine grade paper
5. Give it second coat of glaze.

Oh, and can anybody recommend a filler that would take the stain as well?

thanks

Sponsored Links
However smooth you sand raw wood, it will always raise the grain as soon as a coat of paint is applied.
The only thing with the stain being water based is that water based products dont sink deep into the wood and tend to sit on top, this makes them difficult to sand. I personally would use a traditional stain like "Rustins", or "Colron". Wire wool might be easier to use for the sanding between coats.
"Guppa" make fillers that can be stained over and match any colour of stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back