Woodstain, varnish, wood dye...which one

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Just got some new interior doors ( bare wood..not primed in any way )
First question do I need to use knotting on the knots as I would do if I was painting them ? Do I stain, or dye, or varnish or a combination and what's the difference in finish and to get the best result do I apply by brush or rub on with a cloth.
Am looking for a teak kind of finish... not as dark as mahogany but darker than pine. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
No...whatever you do DONT use knotting..its only to stop brown stains bleeding through coloured paint.

As the for the colour...I use oil based wood dye with about 25% oil based varnish added to it, brush it on then wipe with a rag to remove the excess.

That coat soaks in nicely and allows the grain to lift...gently rub it down with fine grade abrasive paper..(120 grade and upwards)...remember to rub in the same direction as the grain.

Give the door a oat of clear varnish...light rub down (when its dry obviously) then a final one.

IMO wood 'stains' like sadolin and sikken are too heavy in colour, leave brushmarks and dont look natural...avoid if poss..

Sponsored Links
Because i cant be bothered to type too much.. i agree with Zampa but my own personal opinion would be to add another coat of varnish. the more coats of varnish the deeper the colour will go and look great. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back