Paint to woodstain

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by linwight, 23 Feb 2019.

1. linwight

linwight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm attempting to renovate some shelves. The wood is pine, which some years ago I stained with an ordinary woodstain. Some while after that, I decided to paint them white - with white gloss. I've now decided I'd prefer them back to the woodstain and varnished - so I've tried to strip the paint using a heat gun and paint stripper, then sanding. The result is that there is still some paint embedded in the woodgrain and some of the sanding has removed some of the stain, so overall they look pretty blotchy. So I'm looking for a woodstain which will cover all blemishes and the bits of paint to give a uniform colour. After that I'll varnish.

What kind of woodstain will cover everything? There seems to be an American stain - "block stain".......or in the UK - a "gel stain". Can anyone confirm the gel stain will do the job, and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    wont work
    stain shows the full grain off the wood with a transparent tint
    you need to fully strip back to new wood that may be several millimeters deep into the wood
    or paint to cover
    or live with a blotchy finish

3. Sponsored Links
  4. linwight

linwight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply. So if I change my plans and use paint - can I use a satinwood paint, or does it need to be oil based so the old stain won't come though?

5. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would it be less hassle to buy more shelves?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. gc1967

gc1967

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Stain block the shelves and then 2 coats of oil based satinwood, or new shelves and varnish them

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local