Painting Over Woodstain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright Guys, I've got a staircase to paint, spidels, handrails, etc, are finished in a rather tired looking mahogany woodstain, probably waterbased. They want it white gloss apart from the handrail which have to be stripped and stained a light oak. Obviouly I want the paint finish to be as hard wearing as possible, I've been looking at a few of these wonder primers, zinsser and dulux super grip, I'm not sure I'm convinced that they would be any better than a good undercoat or perhaps even prodec which is supposed to be an opaque white woodstain and a good prep but happy to hear opinions and advice. I have just email Dulux about it a there reply was

"As the wood has been stained you will need to use Dulux Trade Aluminium Wood Primer to hold back the stain and then you can apply 1 - 2 coats of Gloss."

Many Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
The stain if its water-based isnt going to be very stable so I'd just rub down ,prime ,undercoat then gloss..
The Zinsser stuff really works though & will guarantee a stable base for an undercoat and gloss

Ok just had a response from Crown and they said.

"We would recommend you sand the area first then de grease with methylated spirit then apply 1 coat of Aluminium Wood Primer to stop the stain bleeding through then overcoat with a Gloss."

That 2 for Aluminium primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back