Coloured stain on top of varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a house a few months back, we are at the stage of decorating. All the wood in the house is pine covered in coloured varnish. The finish is ridiculous and very red. Is it possible to use coloured varnish on top of the previous stuff. We bought b&q coloured varnish ( the water based White stuff) and found it didn't work, I am wondering if an oil based version would work. Any help on this issue would be appreciated as i ain't looking forward to stripping it all off.
Thanks in advance =)

Sponsored Links
Firstly an oil based coating will offer better hide and covering power, the deep red of which you speak is probably Mahogony and the colour strike may prove hard to conceal. Can I ask you what is the colour choice of your coloured stain/varnish.

Dec

Thanks for the quick reply. We haven't yet decided on a colour, but it will be more brown perhaps walnut or dark oak.

Well you would have a better chance using either a mid to dark oak, now in a situation like this the correct prep is important so treat yourself to some 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Pour some water into a basin or similar container and place a piece of sand paper into it leave it for a minute or two then working from the top down start to sand always work with the grain and never across it.

When this is done wipe with a dry rag, you will notice that the colour strike will have started to subdue, Repeat this at least one more time now you should be ready to apply your product. The reds are always the hardest colours to conceal.

Let me know how you get on

Dec

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back