finishing Oak planks

Hmm - its a summer house with reclaimed oak flooring I would be inclind to call 1.5-2mm gaps "character" or expansion room.

Sponsored Links
Yes I do agree, and now that is (part) sanded down those gaps look ok. but there are a few larger gaps.
Luckily the other part of the summerhouse is a shed so I may well use that as a trial!

Hmm - its a summer house with reclaimed oak flooring I would be inclind to call 1.5-2mm gaps "character" or expansion room.
On sanding them and checking with the boss, it has been decided to skip the filling of gaps.
I am sure the wax will hide/blend most of them.

Sponsored Links
Remember its not a wax its called hard wax oil but concider it like a varnish - it will not fll gaps.
Well the wax was delayed today. So, having time along with the filler gel, I decided to fill the larger gaps. The larger gaps are not fully dried yet but the smaller ones look pretty good.

Well the wax was delayed today. So, having time along with the filler gel, I decided to fill the larger gaps. The larger gaps are not fully dried yet but the smaller ones look pretty good.
Fingers crossed that the filler colour still matches when its all HWO ed

I suspect it wont be a perfect match as its slightly lighter when dried. But comparing the filled summerhouse to the shed with gaps I am sure I would prefer the filler. I will do a test and if its lighter I may try putting an extra coat on just the filler.
A final question ( I hope)
I have read that once the wax is dry you can walk on it , but it doesnt fully harden for 10 days.
I have the T&G wood to do the interior cladding arriving later the week.
I was intending on covering the floor to protect it whilst fitting the walls. The only thing on the floor will be me and a set of ladders.
Would this be ok?

Further coats of the wax oil will not really darken the filler after the first coat or the oak.
Not sure on your product but i think I remember mine being similar, I did the whole of downstairs in the evening up to the bottom of the stairs and then went bed :LOL: in the morning it was dry enough to walk on but I was trying to not walk on it, I would not go scraping/ plonking ladders on it too soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back