Clearing allotment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently taken over an overgrown allotment of 120 square metres.
It's very overgrown with a variety of weeds etc, including couch grass.
We did manage to dig out a large Pampass grass but are unsure how to approach clearing the plot with a view to planting veg etc next spring.
I'm leaning towards applying weedkiller now,(I have a supply of roundup),covering the plot with a weed control membrane and rotavating in the spring.
Will that work?
Any labour saving suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would spray now to try and deal with the couch in particular. Then be inclined to use the no dig method over winter. Cardboard/straw covered with a thick layer of rotted manure will get you well on the way to an excellent start in spring.

Have a read about 'no dig' allotments

I found weedkiller didn't work so well this time of year but much better in the spring. I took mine on this time of year too, I just dug over 3 areas, covered them and then had somewhere to plant early spring while I dug up or weedkiller worked on the rest. I think the most important tip I can think of, from watching other plot holders, is to never rotavate until you are sure the weeds are dead - couch grass, bindweed and a few others will all grow again from the smallest bit of cut up root, making the problem a lot worse in the long run.

Oh, and it's not too late to plant winter onions and garlic if you want to grow something straight away :)

Sponsored Links
If to late for weedkiller (you need things to be growing to take Roundup in) consider using a hired petrol strimmer. It will make a world of difference and allow you to see whats what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back