help with my jungle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After 4 years hard slog in the garden we've finally reached the last part. It's about 10 ft by 40ft and is stuffed full of nettles, weeds and briars. I know the best way to clear it is to dig them out but earlier in the year I suffered a hernia and this will now be a difficult job.

Is there any way I can kill it all off without digging ? I read in earlier posts that sodium chlorate is good for the job. Would it help to kill them off and then rotovate - or is that just pushing the weeds back into the ground ?

Long term we plan to plant wild grasses and flowers and leave it for the birds etc, (but be able to control it, if need be).

Last question - if we do use a heavy duty weedkiller how long before we can plant anything ?

Sponsored Links
one of these?
mini_digger.jpg

A hernia driver will end up in the smash up conservatory ;)

Sponsored Links
you need to use a horticultural grade of a systemic weedkiller. these are normally glyphosate. The plant draws in the weedkiller and it kills the roots off, destroying the whole plant and stopping it growing again. It doesnt harm the soil, so it can be replanted.

dont bother getting round up etc from diy sheds, it is a very weak mix. A horticultural fgrade one will set you back about £50-60 but it will do the job. It may nee a few applications to kill of the brambles etc.

Sodium chlorate stays in the soil and can stop you planting again for up to ayear. it is also a contact weedkiller so it will not get to the very deep rooted weeds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back