My gardens a jungle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally the end is in sigt for re-developing my house (6 long months of re-wire, re-plumb, redecorate everything, new floors, new kitchen, building works, windows and of course a new kitchen sink :)

So I find my attention drawn to the garden - which since the previous occupant shuffled off this mortal coil over a year ago, has decended into a weed infested nightmare. We have nettles & docks, all sorts of random annuals, thistles, brambles, dandilions and all sorts of invasisve stuff setting up home.

I want to kill it all off, and was wondering the best way to do it - a lot of it is dying back wioth winter coming, and I was thinking of kiving the whole garden a dose of roundup, followed about a month later by rotovating the whole thing over - is this likely to do a sufficient job of killing off the weeds permanently by spring? I was kind of thinking of what my Dad used to say that turning the ground over before thee frosts come would help kill the weeds off (coupled with nice strong pesticides :) ) over the winter

Sponsored Links
I have used Path Clear before to clear larger areas of foliage. Make sure you buy a watering car especially for the job as you don;t want your normal one lined with poison for ever ! You'll use about 100 bottles of round up if you want to do the job properly.

On another matter, your sig is hilarious :LOL:

if your going to use a weedkiller, use this stuff (the gallup amenity). its the same content as roundup but its commercial/landscaping grade and it certainly does the job. If you do turn over the ground, keep it covered with a fabric etc to help keep any weeds suppresed once its been dug over with a few decent frosts. You will still get some weeds though as once youve turned it over you will bring various seeds to the surface. Try using decent mulches setc in any planting you do to keep them down.

http://www.boothman33.freeserve.co.uk/page33.html

(i dont think its advertising its just the only supplier ive found easily and he does deliver speedily)

the link is fine :)

Much appreciated folks - just got to broker the weed genocide with the other half now - she wants to have an organic garden - I just want to have a garden that I can walk into without getting nettle rash :mad:

Happy days

Sponsored Links
you can argue that it is organic. it is systemic and only kills selective weeds and as glyphosate hits the soil a chemical reaction occurs which turns it into nitrogen and rendering it harmless.....well its worth a try with her!

Thermo said:
you can argue that it is organic. it is systemic and only kills selective weeds and as glyphosate hits the soil a chemical reaction occurs which turns it into nitrogen and rendering it harmless.....well its worth a try with her!

I'm wondering of Napalm's classed as organic - it's petrochemical based, and what is petrol but refined oil, and what is oil but dead organic matter left for thousands of years.....

Hmm - thinking about it scorched earth policy may be a good fall back position

*Time to book an air-strike methinks - anyone got a number for the RAF*

I think weeds have to be actively growing for weedkiller to have a realistic affect - I doubt this will be the case in winter time (but read the label). Digging and removing the roots is laborious but the most effective way, then lay a weed suppressant membrane to help prevent the return of weeds.

True, but they're amazing tools, and if the young girls in the video can do it, so can the rest of us. I bought 4 of different sizes, miles faster than a strimmer. The only problem for most people will be learning what a sharp edge is, and how to get one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back