Need advice on new garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a new house and my rear garden is somewhat of a jungle, I have turned over 60% of the 100Sqft and have purchased some Glyphoshate in an attempt to kill off the weeds, I know there is some dandelion, dock leaf, brambles and grass they may be others as I am not really a gardener(YET).

My plan is to treat the whole garden with weed and feed and lay a lawn in the next 4 weeks, so I went to the local garden centre and a man told me to buy the Glyphosphate instead of weed and feed, treat the area and the cultivate and lay the lawn, but on the packaging its says it kills grass and although it says once the weeds are dead I can cultivate and replant it does not say how long I have to wait before I can lay new turf.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what I should do, I'm not too bothered about weeds coming through as long as I have a lawn my son and the family can enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Glyphosphate is the "active" part of roundup.
"Attempting" to kill weeds is a bad idea with this stuff, it will kill weeds, and anything else green it touches.

Mix it to the required strength (on the label, probably 10ml per litre)
Spray on anything green you want dead.
Wait.
In a few days, the leaves should start going brown, a few days after that, the roots have absorbed the chemical and the plant is not long for this world.
At which point you can you can get out your rotavator or just dump turf on top (never laid turf myself)

Sponsored Links
Pretty much immediately as it becomes inactive on contact with soil. Leave it for a full week to do it's thing though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back