Click clack waste problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new bathroom fitted and one of the problems found to date is that the click clack waste doesn't hold the water in the basin as it should do when it is pushed down.

In addition to this (I think it may be connected but I've no plumbing skills so not sure) is that the waste under the basin is also leaking. It's a basin which sits on top of a unit with cupboards underneath.

The installer has turned his phone off, so I'm looking for advice on how to sort this problem before Chrimbo!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The click clack plug should be able to be pulled out and on the underside there is a little screw. This needs to be screwed in a little bit more. It sounds like the plug is not sitting properly inside the waste and needs lowering (to create the seal) just a little bit and this is done like I've explained.

It sounds like the waste needs to come off to sort the leak which is clearly not sealed properly to the underside of the basin.

Sorry to be dim but I'm stuck and I've only managed to unscrew the plastic chrome part which acts like a plug! I can now see a brass coloured metal part which is obviously the mechanism which allows the click clack to move up and down. Do I need to take this out as well? If so how does this part come out?
I can see a very small screw on the side of this mechanism but there is no way of reaching it to turn it whilst it's actually fitted inside the basin.

Another problem has also been found with the dual flush botton (Torrent concealed cistern) which I also need help with. The button is made up of a big button and a little button. When I push the little button in, it goes in but nothing else happens. The same happens when I push both buttons together. The only time the toilet actually flushed is when I push the big button in, but it only causes a small flush to happen??

If I can get at least one of the three plumbing problems sorted by the time Santa arrives with the kids presents, I'll be a happy!

Thanks.

Okay, it seems you have the click-clack waste that needs to be completely removed to alter the plug seal by using the screw underneath to seal it better.

Does it seem the plug itself is not quite pushed down far enough to make the seal to the waste and water is slowing seeping away when filled up?

I'm guessing you unscrewed the plug to make it come off and the whole mechanism inside the waste doesn't just pull out?

The toilet problem is hard to say. You need to remove the toilet panel and see what's going on behind. I think on your toilet you have 1 air tube going from the push button to the syphon in your toilet and this would indicate the syphon is failing on the small flush. If you have two air tubes (1 for big flush, 1 for the small flush) it might be a case of one of the tubes is kinked/caught. If you could remove the panel and post a picture that would be great.

However, you say this is a new bathroom so I'd be surprised if any parts were at fault - I'd say bad workmanship.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's right Yerino, the plug part just doesn't push down far enough for it to create a seal so the water just seaps down the plug (click clack) hole. Even when its not pushed down, it just looks as if it's sticking up too much.

I did unscrew the plug piece and as you have quite rightly assumed, the mechanism which is then uncovered doesn't pull out to get to the little screw.

I'll try and get a picture of the tubes inside of the concealed cistern if I can get the front panel off. The flush parts have already been replaced the day after fitting as when the original was fitted, it flushed and then continued to fill up so that the water was constantly running into the pan. I have searched the net and nobody else appears to have had this problem which the Torrent concealed cistern so like you say, it'll be something the slap dash installer has done wrong.

I'm just praying that nothing else goes wrong or starts leaking as I've paid a fortune for the new bathroom and the new kitchen fitted in the room directly underneath! I'm hoping Santa brings me a parcel full of luck this year.

Thanks very much for your help so far in addressing my plumbing nightmare.

My click clack waste problem was solved by the bathroom suppliers, rather than the cowboys.......... whoops sorry... the fitters, by giving us a brand new replacement which sealed perfectly for a couple of months, but now that leaks, but not as badly. On mine there is no screw to uncover and tighten either. There is on the bath version.

I sympathise with you. Spending a fortune on a new bathroom and having the shine taken off it by problems is rotten. I hope you get it all sorted.

I'm old-school. You can't beat a plug and chain! How often do they leak?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back