Click vs T&G bamboo flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of tearing out our ancient carpet and replacing it with bamboo flooring. It would mean about 700 sqare feet of floor. I have a source for both the Click type and Tongue & Groove type floorboards, and the prices aren't that different. The click does seem a lot easier/quicker to install, but I have a number built in bookcases, etc., that would have to be built around, with the requisite 1/2" (or whatever it is) gap everywhere.
I have not seen a discussion of the pros & cons of each. Anyone care to advise?

Sponsored Links
Click-systems are a novelty professional fitters don't see the extra value of. Ever tried to hold the last board in a hallway with several doors opposite of each other in the 45% angle? Most click-manufacturers also state boards are easy to replace, try the one in the middle (without having to remove all the other ones)!
The only good thing about proper click-systems (cause there are also many low-quality copy-cats out there) is the fact you hardly see the joins. But the same can be done by installing T&G boards properly.
We prefer T&G for obvious reasons: mostly cheaper, easier to install in most areas (ever seen an square area with square walls, no hearth or bookcases or out-sticking walls or cupboards?) plus damaged boards in the middle much easier to replace.
But we are biased ;)

Thanks for the straight scoop. I suspected as much. If I go with the T&G, do I glue and nail, or can I just nail? I'd rather not glue if I don't have to... sounds messy.

Sponsored Links
Why would you nail and to what? Most simple (and not messy) is to glue the T&G (completely, not just some drips here and there) with PVAC wood glue and install the boards 'floating' on underlayment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back