clicking pipes (or valves) -need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please help. Have just moved house and had a combi boiler fitted and trv's on radiators. the upstairs still have old valves on other side of radiators. when the boiler shuts down we get loud clicking from which I think is the valves and hammering from pipes. this seem to go a thousand times worse when heating is turned to a lower temperature or tvr's turned down. please, please help, I haven't had much sleep with these noises.

Sponsored Links
sounds like one way trv's on the wrong end ie return or maybe just cheap crappy trvs!

the tvr's are on the end of the radiators the get hot last, is this right or wrong??? please

ollski said:
sounds like one way trv's on the wrong end ie return or maybe just cheap crappy trvs!

the radiators start to get hot on the end without the trv's

Sponsored Links
have they got an arrow on them on the body indicating direction of flow, yours are on the return but there is a chance they were made to go on the return or either. Most old ones were made to be fitted on flow though.

they have two arrows - one pointing to the radiator and one to the pipework and they clank like mad, i even hear it downstairs

have you got trv's on all of your rads and what boiler do you have?

all but the bathroom, the boiler is a falcon II, any help? It is only the upstairs ones that make the noise , if I turn them down the smaller bedroom stays red hot and the two large bedrooms stay cool. I have to turn the heating up and valves wide open and shut boiler off and restart to make it quieter (not a lot)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back